Theatre for Young Audiences: 2013, Emperor’s New Clothes
Theatre for Young Audiences
Each year Steel River Playhouse offers a live Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) production specifically designed with:
- Age-appropriate subject matter for elementary school students
- Performances of shorter duration (around 1 hour)
- School/community groups field trips to Steel River Playhouse, OR productions that come to you
- All school-day performances including educational talk-backs with the director and actors
- Complimentary downloadable Study Guides
- School day performances at Steel River Playhouse that include backstage tours (Main Stage discussions of technical theater elements, rehearsal rooms, costume shop, scene shop, prop room, green room, and dressing rooms).
Three Ways to Take Advantage of Theatre for Young Audiences
- Public performances at Steel River Playhouse
- At-theater” field trips to Steel River Playhouse (available late January through mid-May, 2013), which provide especially rich educational opportunities.
- Touring performances at your school or facility.
2013 Production — Emperor’s New Clothes
Adaptation by Lani Brockman; Music & Lyrics by Susan Bardsley (Dementia Unlimited, 2010)
Originally produced by StoryBook Theater, Kirkland, WA
Public Performances at Steel River Playhouse
Get TICKETS HERE
- Saturday, January 19 (11AM and 3PM)
- Sunday, January 20 (3PM)
Winner of the 2011 National Children’s Theatre Festival Competition, this witty and whimsical musical rendition of the classic fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen engages a wide audience. A vain and misguided Emperor wants a dazzling new outfit for the annual parade to impress his subjects. The Empress worries her husband is too concerned about his appearance at the expense of being a wise ruler. When she meets two traveling swindlers looking for a quick way to make a buck, the Empress hatches a plan.
The swindlers pretend they are famous tailors and “create” a beautiful new outfit for the Emperor, who believes the fabric is only visible to wise and clever people. The Emperor pretends he can see the invisible fabric, and those who do not agree are summarily fired! As the parade day approaches, the Empress worries that her scheme is a dreadful mistake, and the Emperor begins to doubt his own judgment.
Will the Emperor embarrass himself in front of his people? This humorous romp folds themes of personal values and judgment into an enchanting story and musical score.
About Public Performances of Emperor’s New Clothes
Tickets go on sale Saturday, December 15
- Saturday, January 19 (11AM and 3PM) and Sunday, January 20 (3PM)
- Single ticket prices: Adults – $17; Seniors (65+) – $15; Students and Children – $13
- $3 discount per ticket for groups of 10 or more
- Get TICKETS HERE
About At-Theater Performances
- Modern, black-box theater facility
- Provides the full-theater experience, including a discussion of theater technical features and backstage tour (costume shop, prop room, scene shop, rehearsal space, and green room).
- Seating capacity of approximately 240 per performance (additional seating may be available)
- $1,000 per performance (add $5 for each student over 200; no charge for teachers, chaperones)
- Schools can share a date and split the costs
About Touring Performances
- Appropriate for a large classroom, multi-purpose room, cafeteria or auditorium
- Requires access to performance space at least 30 minutes before and after each performance
- Larger spaces may need microphones and a sound operator
- 1st performance – $850; 2nd same-day performance – $650; 3rd same-day performance – $550
To discuss arrangements for Emperor’s New Clothes
For special at-theater or touring performances, contact Marta Kiesling, Marta@steelriver.org